“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
President Ronald Reagan
This illustration is logical, convincing, powerful and backed up by science. It should give anyone, who may consider the “it’s my body” argument to be valid, pause…to reconsider. The baby’s body is no more the mother’s body than it is the father’s body. Neither parent has the right to declare if the baby should live or die.
Person: a human being, especially as distinguished from a thing or lower animal. Webster’s New World Dictionary of the American Language – 1956
I AM WRITING TODAY in recognition of the over 50 million American babies (55,772,015 per recent statistics, which I include because I believe each of these innocent, lost lives should be recognized) whose lives have been cut short since the January 22, 1973 Roe v. Wade decision by the United States Supreme Court. Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973), is the United States Supreme Court decision establishing that most laws against abortion violate a constitutional right to privacy, thus overturning all state laws outlawing or restricting abortion.
Note: If you are not interested in 1973 court information or expert opinion, then scroll on down to 2016 and meet my granddaughter…
I took the time to read most of the Syllabus relating to this decision. It is actually, despite the erroneous conclusions, an interesting history lesson of law. The whole conclusion of Roe v. Wade, from a Constitutional standpoint is dependent upon the definition of “person”. The entire decision falls apart, Constitutionally, if a child at conception can be established as a “person”.
The Syllabus reads at one point: The appellee and certain amici argue that the fetus is a “person” within the language and meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment. In support of this, they outline at length and in detail the well known facts of fetal development. If this suggestion of personhood is established, the appellant’s case, of course, collapses, [p157]for the fetus’ right to life would then be guaranteed specifically by the Amendment.
However, they then go on to say (excerpts from the Syllabus):
- The Constitution does not define “person” in so many words.
- …the law has been reluctant to endorse any theory that life, as we recognize it, begins before live birth, or to accord legal rights to the unborn except in narrowly defined situations and except when the rights are contingent upon live birth.
- …new embryological data that purport to indicate that conception is a “process” over time, rather than an event…
- There has always been strong support for the view that life does not begin until live’ birth.
- …the word “person,” as used in the Fourteenth Amendment, does not include the unborn.
- In short, the unborn have never been recognized in the law as persons in the whole sense.
That was 1973...
1981 – Expert Testimony
Dr. Jerome Lejeune of Paris, France (died 1994), was a physician and Doctor of Science and Professor of Genetics for 25 years. Dr. Lejeune discovered the genetic cause for Down’s Syndrome. He received awards such as the Kennedy Prize and the Memorial Allen Award Medal; he was a member of The American Academy of Arts and Science, the Royal Society of Medicine of London, and the Royal Society of Science in Stockholm.
- Dr. Lejeune testified before a United States Senate subcommittee in 1981: ‘To accept the fact that after fertilization has taken place a new human being has come into being is no longer a matter of taste or opinion. The human nature of the human being from conception to old age is not a metaphysical contention, it is plain experimental evidence’.” Jason M. Steffens, “The ‘Peculiar’ Being: The Rights of an Unborn Child in Iowa,” 88 IOWA L. REV. 217 (1988).
- In 1989, during testimony on The Seven Human Embryos in Tennessee, Dr. Lejeune made the following observation: “…as soon as he has been conceived, a man is a man.” Dr. Lejeune noted that the very first cell, the fertilized egg cell or zygote, is “the most specialized cell under the sun”.
- In the words of Dr. Lejeune: “Each of us has a very precise starting moment which is the time at which the whole necessary and sufficient genetic information is gathered inside one cell, the fertilized egg, and this is the moment of fertilization. There is not the slightest doubt about that and we know that this information is written on a kind of ribbon which we call the DNA…Nature has used the smallest possible language to carry the information from father to children, from mother to children, from generation to generation…At no time is the human being a blob of protoplasm. As far as your nature is concerned, I see no difference between the early person that you were at conception and the late person which you are now. You were and are a human being.”
- When Dr. Lejeune testified in the Louisiana legislature he stated, “Recent discoveries by Dr. Alec Jeffreys of England demonstrate that the information (on the DNA molecule) is stored by a system of bar codes not unlike those found on products at the supermarkets…it’s not any longer a theory that each of us is unique.”
- 1996 (the term “pre-embryo” deemed inaccurate)
“Although life is a continuous process, fertilization is a critical landmark because, under ordinary circumstances, a new, genetically distinct human organism is thereby formed (emphasis mine)…. The combination of 23 chromosomes present in each pronucleus results in 46 chromosomes in the zygote. Thus the diploid number is restored and the embryonic genome is formed. The embryo now exists as a genetic unity.”
[O’Rahilly, Ronan and Müller, Fabiola. Human Embryology & Teratology. 2nd edition. New York: Wiley-Liss, 1996, pp. 8, 29. This textbook lists “pre-embryo” among “discarded and replaced terms” in modern embryology, describing it as “ill-defined and inaccurate” (p. 12}]
Still unconvinced that an unborn child is a separate, distinct, valuable person?
Answer this question: Should your environment be a determining factor in your value as a human being? Not sure how to answer? Click on the link below for help…(you may need to copy the link to your browser or open in a new window to open)
My Grandaughter…Mackenzie Ann at 6 1/2 months old…before she was born:
Mackenzie Ann today:
Mackenzie Ann Rueffert…a fearfully and wonderfully created work of God!
“And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.”
Jesus… as recorded in Matthew 18:5
Scripture (yesterday, today and tomorrow):
THERE ARE MANY SCRIPTURES clearly indicating that God’s sovereignty extends to the conception of a child…and earlier. I believe this sovereignty is both specific and universal. God is involved!
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
GOD HAS ALWAYS KNOWN that an unborn child is a “person” – “distinguished from a thing or other animal” (see Genesis 1:26). Science now confirms that truth. Human law and politics are still “reluctant”to endorse any theory that life begins before live birth, or to accord legal rights to the unborn. It is time to end this slaughter of innocent, unborn children!
180 Movie – You may or may not want to see this 33-minute documentary. It is graphic and moving. Click on the link below if you are not yet convinced that an unborn human baby is a “person” worth saving.
click here – 180 Movie – click here
If you have persevered this far I want to leave you with a message of hope. You, or someone you love, may have been involved in an abortion. This message today is not meant to condemn; it is meant to bring awareness and, hopefully, save the lives of unborn children yet to be conceived. There is forgiveness in Christ Jesus. There is redemption and reconciliation…and it is free. Just ask! Read below:
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.
Romans 8:1-4 (Please read Romans chapter 7 & 8 for context)
Your fellow “person”…